The following are the interview questions related to the topics Nature of Software, Software Engineering-A layered technology,The Software Process,Software Engineering Practice, Software Myths, Process Models: A Generic Process Model, Process Assessment and Improvement,Prescriptive Process Models, specialized Process Models, The Unified Process, Personal and Team Process Models, Process Technology, Product and Process, Agile Development:Agility, Agility and the cost of change, Agile process, Extreme Programming, Other Agile Process Models.
1.What is Software Engineering?
A. “The application of systematic, disciplined, quantified approach to the development, operations, and maintenance of software” is known as Software Engineering.
2. What are the Computer-based system elements?
A.The following are the elements in Computer-Based System are Software, Hardware, People, Database, Documentation and Procedures.
3.What is meant by Process Framework?
A. Process Framework establishes foundation for entire software process by finding a small number of framework activities which are valid for all software projects without considering their size and complexity.
4.what is the definition of software process.
A. Software process is defined as the framework of activities that are required to develop the software system.
5. What are the elements to be taken into consideration while constructing a System Model?
A. The elements such as Assumption, Simplification, Limitation, Constraints and Preferences are to be taken into sight in the System Model Construction.
6. Define Computer Software?
A. In oneliner, Computer Software is a complete package which includes software code, its documentation and user manual regarding using that software.
7. Mention a difference between Computer Software and Computer program.
A. A computer program is a section of code which performs a specific task whereas Computer Software is also includes a source code along with its documentation and user manual.
8. What is SDLC?
A. Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is the systematic development of a software by following every phase in the development process. It includes the phases such as Requirements Gathering, System analysis, Design, Coding, Testing, Maintenance and Documentation.
9. Name some models that are available in SDLC?
A. Many models are available in SDLC, some of them are Waterfall model, Iterative model, Spiral model,V-model and so on.
10. List some basic activities of a Software Process.
A. It performs the following activities:
- Design and implementation
11. What are the activities done by a System Engineering Model?
A. System Engineering Model performs the following:
- The processes that serve needs of view are defined by SE model.
- SE Model represents the behavior of process and assumption.
- It explicitly defines the Exogenous and Endogenous Input.
- It represent all Linkages that enable engineer for better understanding view.
12. Mention the activities involved under Generic Framework.
A. Generic Framework activities are Communication, Planning, Modelling, Construction and Deployment.
13. What are the advantages of an Incremental model?
A. The advantages with this model are:
- It is also applicable when there are minimum count of people involved in the project.
- For every increment the technical issues can be handled.
- At least a core product is delivered to the customer even in a less time.
14. How the size of a Software product be derived?
A. Based on the following two considerations we can derive the size of a Software:
- Number of lines in a delivered code.
- Number of delivered function points.
15. List out the Umbrella activities of a Software process.
A. The following are the Umbrella activities of a Software process.
- Software project tracking and control.
- Risk Management.
- Software Quality Assurance.
- Formal Technical Reviews.
- Software Configuration Management.
- Work product preparation and production.
- Reusability management, Measurement.
16. State any two reasons for the failure of Water fall model.
A. The reasons are:
- Real time projects will not often follows the sequential flow as the iterations done indirectly.
- For the customer it is hard to mention all the requirements explicitly.
17. What are the tasks regions in the Spiral model?
A. In a Spiral model the task regions are Customer Communication, Planning, Risk analysis,Engineering, Construct and release and Customer evaluation.
18. Which models are said as Evolutionary process models?
A. Incremental model, Spiral model, WIN-WIN spiral model and Concurrent development are Evolutionary process models.
19. What are the phases involved in a product development life cycle?
A. The following are the phases of product development life cycle.
- Idea generation.
- Prototype development phase.
- Beta phase.
- Production phase.
- Maintenance and obsolescence phase.
20. What is a Water fall model?
A. Waterfall Model is a sequential model that divides software development into different phases. Each phase is designed for performing specific task during SDLC phase. Winston Royce introduced this in 1970.