Introduction to Python
Python is widely used general purpose and high-level programming language.
It was first designed by Guido Van Rossum in 1991 and developed by Python Software Foundation. While developing the Python it is mainly focused on code readability and hence the codes are intended using white spaces. The syntax of python allows the programmer to implement the concept in few lines of code.
There exists two major versions of Python are: Python 2 and Python 3.
Actually Python version 1.0 was released in January 1994. In October 2000, Python 2.0 was introduced. Later Python 3.0 was released as a major version which is also known as “Python 3000” and “Py3K”.
In this tutorial we are going to code the python by using the version of Python 3 i.e. Python 3.5
Some noticed changes in Python 3.x
- Print is now a function.
- There is only one integer type exists i.e. int. If we declare long it considers it as type int only.
- The division of two integers returns a float instead of an integer.
Features of Python language:
- Easy to use Python is easy to use and is said as Programmer Friendly Language”.
- Expressive Language Python language is highly expressive. That is we can express the code like one can understand it easily.
- Interpreted Language Python is an Interpreted language since the interpreter in python executes the code line by line at a time. With this the debugging becomes easy.
- Cross-platform Language Python can run in similar way on different platforms like Windows, Linux, Unix and so on. Hence it is also said to be a portable language.
- Free and Open Source Python is available at free of cost (www.python.org). The source code is also available and therefore it is open source.
- Object-Oriented Language Python supports the OOP concepts Classes and Object and it is said to be an Object-Oriented language.
- Large standard library Python has a large and broad library
- GUI Programming Graphical user interfaces can be developed by using Python.
- Python has an automatic memory management (Garbage Collection).
Applications of Python
Python can be used in many application domains. few of them are
- Web and Internet Development
- Scientific and Numeric computing
- Python is now being used Game Development areas also.
- Software Development.
- Used in Business applications especially to build ERP and e-commerce systems.
Benefits of using Python
- Higher productivity.
- Less learning time.
- Run across different platforms.
Most software programs written in Python are:
Python is an incredibly powerful tool for web development. More and more sites rely on it, including 10 of the most powerful sites in the world that are listed here.